GW
Been reading up a storm as of late! As such, I don't have much time to blog in-depth about the recent books I've read so these mini-reviews will have to do...

The Catcher In The Rye - J. D. Salinger
Not much to say other than it's a tight read and a classic, starring a protagonist who I found to be both maddening and hilarious. I regret not reading it sooner.

When You Are Engulfed In Flames - David Sedaris
I laughed, though not as much as I was expecting to, this being my first David Sedaris book - that is, until I watched him read some of his essays on YouTube (which I recommend to anyone who hasn't done so before) - then I "got it", so to speak. Great voice, and I mean that both literarily and figuratively. Looking forward to reading some of his earlier works.

Outlander - Diana Gabaldon
Epic, immersing and possibly the fastest 850 (!) pages I've ever read. Perhaps a tad overhyped - it takes a little while for things to get moving - but just a tad, and as it heads to the end it picks up quite spectacularly. Interesting characters (which include a dashing leading man); fun escapism.

Your Heart Belongs To Me - Dean Koontz
Thankfully I borrowed this book from the library so the only thing I wasted on it was my time. After stacking a bajillion of Mr. Koontz's books in the "Horror" section of the bookstore I work at next to all the Stephen King's, I decided to check out this chap's apparent "bestselling" title since I hadn't heard much of him before. Maybe I just don't agree with his writing style, but it was disappointing and about as scary as a pencil to boot. *

*Note that some pencils can in fact be quite frightening. It may be more suitable to change the word "pencil" to "eraser" as those are relatively harmless.
0 Responses

Post a Comment