GW
Yup, it's been a while since my last post. Why, you ask? I was on an international voyage on the behalf of a classified spy agency from which I just returned. During my precarious trip, I was tasked with infiltrating the dark underbelly of some of the world's most secret and deadly organizations. After beating back the dark forces of corruption and evil, I fought to return home while in possession of my memories, which I so narrowly escaped with.

Either that or I've been working and lazy.

Things I've done this month (not part of my action-packed adventures in espionage, of course):

I went to see the Lion King (from Broadway Across Canada) live, finally, and let me say it was an amazing experience. From the beginning, I got chills and they sure were multiplyin'! (Yes, I know, I should drop out of school and go into stand-up comedy.) Kidding aside, the costumes, the music, the performances...everything was pitch-perfect and I can only imagine how much work must've gone into getting the production just right. Absolutely beautiful. I would be hard pressed to find a "favorite" thing about it but I loved the actor/puppeteer who played Zazu, he captured everything that made the character great in the original cartoon.

On the 18th, I got the opportunity to see the Arkells and Pilot Speed live in concert outdoors. I use the word "opportunity" on purpose because I didn't actually get to see Pilot Speed...rather, I was band-blocked by a tornado warning that came after the Arkells performed a decent but slightly hard to understand set. Within seconds the sky went black, gravel went flying, benches blew over, people were running and yelling...it was tumultuous to say the least, but as the naive storm-goer I am, it was a tad exciting. If you've ever wondered what a carnival looks like after it's been shut down, wonder no longer for I can tell you that (dun dun DUN): it's vaguely unsettling.

A few days after that debacle, I saw Marianas Trench live in what was a pretty good show, save for a few thousand screaming fangirls. In doing so I got rather beat up (been a while since I've been in a mosh pit, and hot damn are those fourteen year-olds vicious!) but it wasn't for naught as my friend and I managed to shove my way up to the fourth row of people. They had great energy and easygoing banter, plus played all my favorite songs of theirs (Celebrity Status, Shake Tramp, Cross My Heart). One moment I wish I photographed was where one girl excitedly threw her bra onstage, only to have misjudged the distance and have it land in some poor guy's face. Stereos of MTV fame opened up for them...not terrible but not exceptionally memorable to me. I would've looked on their performance more favorably were it not for the attempted crotch-grabs made by the lead singer, but it looks like my opinion is of the minority since they have a huge following.

Lastly, I read some good - no, scratch that - great books. More on those later. In the meantime, I'll finish off this supremely long catch-up post with a video: MUTO, a creepy and crazy and ultimately awesome street-art inspired video recommended to me by a coworker a while ago.

0 Responses

Post a Comment